Wednesday 15 May 2013

The Bird is the Word: Part Won!

Chicken. Yes, chicken. I've always had trouble cooking chicken. My friend Angela can attest to it. Outside of  coating mix chicken or my always-delicious roasted chicken (the recipe for which I will post later; yes +Angela Gallant  you FINALLY get it!) chicken has been my Waterloo. So I am going to research and try out various chicken recipes, especially those for an itty-bitty budget, using this blog to record my successes, failures and whatever else happens. Now please be aware that I do not have a camera at this time, so I may or may not be able to add pictures. We do have a cell phone, but I'm just not adept enough at using the thing to know how to use it right.
I got this particular recipe of of Epicurious, a site for people who love food. Here's the link:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Perfect-Pan-Roasted-Chicken-Thighs-365489
And here's the recipe.

PAN-ROASTED CHICKEN THIGHS

  • 6 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/4 pounds)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 475°F. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 12" cast-iron or heavy nonstick skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking. Nestle chicken in skillet, skin side down, and cook 2 minutes. Reduce heat to  medium-high. Continue cooking skin side down, occasionally rearranging chicken thighs and rotating pan to evenly distribute heat, until fat renders and skin is golden brown, about 12 minutes. Transfer skillet to oven and cook 13 more minutes. Flip chicken; continue cooking until skin crisps and meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate; let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Tonight I will try it and let you know how it goes.

UPDATE!
The first thing out of my mouth when I put this in my mouth was "Oh my god this is good!" And it really, really is. I've always told my kids that people screw food up by fussing too much, and this recipe proves it.
I used a 9 lb. cast iron frying pan and, as I live at sea-level, I put my oven on 400*F, not 475. I probably could have been a little bit more attentive to it; then the skin would have been intact. This picture doesn't show it well. there's too much redness that wasn't in the actual chicken, but I never claimed to be a photographer. However I was also making herbed rice, home-made ice tea and veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment