Thursday 16 May 2013

HERBED RICE


This is my very basic recipe. It goes well with a lot of other dishes and is a nice alternative to plain white rice or potatoes. If you don't like the herbs I suggest here, use different ones. I have used paprika and cayenne pepper, as well as sage and a packet of chicken flavour powder. Both were just fine. You can serve this hot or cool it down and through in some bits of chicken or fish and eat as is.

  • 1/2 small onion, very finely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1/4 tsp basil
  • 1 tblsp olive oil
  • a generous pinch of salt
  • 1 Cup long-grained white rice
  • 2 Cups water

Heat your rice pot on Med-High, add oil and saute' onions and garlic until just beginning to turn colour. Add in oregano and basil and briefly heat to release flavours, then stir in rice, water and salt, and cover. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for another 10 minutes. Very gently separate rice with fork or bamboo rice paddle. Serve.
Enjoy!
!UPDATE!
As part of my film study, I have a vignette planned that chronicles the making of a dish of rice from putting the pot on the stove to eating it. If successful, or even relatively view-able, I will put it on YouTube and link it to my blog. Stay tuned... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment