Monday 5 August 2013

Crocheted reticule to make someone smile.

When it finally dawned on me to photograph it.
2 ply unknown crochet cotton, insanely small steel hook.
A few weeks ago I finally got glasses that I can actually see through. I know; it's a miracle! And I said to myself  "Self, enough of this idle hands rubbish! The hands aren't going to feel any better (or worse)just hanging off your wrists." Now this was a good theory, and for a change it was actually somewhat correct. Avoiding fine work really isn't that great for my arthritis, nor is it bad exactly. There are times I can't grasp the hook, and then I have to set my work down. That is NOT my favourite part of the day, I must confess. Such is arthritis, though, and you have to learn to live with it. So as I sad I chucked the Poor-Me's out the window, picked up a hook and a ball of cotton and began to fiddle.
I threw together a couple of tiny flowers with varying success. I ran up a sample of very plain DC square mesh just to get back in to the swing of things. (I wonder where that went?) Then I hunted up a pattern I liked on the internet. It's a traditional pattern first published in a ladies magazine in 189?, but heaven knows how long it's actually been around.
I worked 32 rows of it for the front, then reattached the cotton to the foundation and worked another 32 rows going in the opposite direction. The idea was to give the bottom a "seamless" appearance: good theory, sad result. So when it came time to close the sides with a simple shell edge, I just worked it down one side, across the bottom and up the third side. This actually worked out pretty well and gave a foundation for an embellishment panel along the bottom; very Victorian!
That done, I worked a five chain mesh in rows for 18 rows. This gives a nice easy fabric that "scrunches up" nicely to tie closed. This I topped with a row of DC all the way around and then with a row of 2 DC, skip 1, ch 1 around, which of course is where the ribbon ties will be woven through to close it. I then added a simple DC wrist strap side-to-side, and worked the embellishment along the bottom.
Nearly done but for a bit of working in, lining and ribbons.
I've taken a picture with a pair of pretty standard sunglasses to give you an idea of how big it is. It also shows the additional work I've done since photo 1.It doesn't show well, but the lace at the bottom features a series of little filigree loops. I love these and always think they're charming. They were also extremely popular in the Victorian era and so are quite appropriate to this project. As you can see, I still have a few loose ends to work in, the lining to attach and ribbons to weave in. However, it is BC Day today, and there is not one dang place to get fabric open! So near and yet so far!
This actually started out as a project/prize for one friend and has turned out to be a bit of cheering up for another friend. (Sorry Angela, you'll have to wait, but don't worry it'll be worth it.) I have discovered that doing something for someone else really does ease your own emotional state, at least to a degree. I didn't really believe it before now. I stand corrected. Once the lining is in and the ribbons in place I'll post another picture for you all to see.
From this project I've learned a few things.
  • As I said, doing something nice for someone helps my mood.
  • I have to take way better notes when I do these projects. I imagine it will avoid a lot of the unravelling and re-doing that I usually have to do.
  • Crocheting helps my brain to stop whirling in shrieking circles. I gotta say, I really like that part!
  • I really want to obtain a good book on creating crochet patterns. Is there an actual text book out there on it? Does anybody have a recommendation?

FINAL UPDATE!

It is done! Yes finally it's lined and ready to see the inside of a padded envelope. And here it is (drum roll please)!

I love how the blue lining contrasts with and enhances the white of the cotton. I agonized over the lining colour and that is why this last update has taken so long to get here. The lady it's going to loves jewel tones, but generally leans toward reds and purples. But my BH (beloved husband) really pushed for it. Boy, was he right. Thanks Steve!
I also tried 3 or 4 types of drawstrings including a spool-knitted one. This two stitch ribbon type was exactly what it needed, though. It makes it easy to draw the top closed but more difficult to pull it open, and is really quite hardy.
I'm really proud of this. Most of all I'm proud that I finished it. I have the worst habit of starting projects and then just letting them drop. I'm willing to bet I'm not the only person whose adventures in creativity tend to go poof, so it feels really great when it's all done and ready to go,weather it be to a friend or a show or a sale table.
And in keeping with completing projects, I've decided to try limiting the number of projects going at the same time. While I was making this purse, I was also working on a little first Christmas decoration for my youngest grandson to date. It's one of those little cross stitch ones ... of course it just now occurred to me that I should have posted a blog about that as well. 20/20 hindsight. In any event, restricting my projects to two seems to be the golden balance for me. I get them finished and I don't get project boredom.
Now on to new horizons.
#1 - A project ditty bag for Angela Gallant, and
#2 - Cthuluh change purse for Becca, and
#3 - Crocheted filigree finger-less gloves for Jennica
Yes, I know I said TWO, but.....

No comments:

Post a Comment